Why This Blog?  

Posted by greyhound in

Welcome to the Confessing Runner.

**Kind of a strange name. What in the world is he confessing? That he’s a runner? That he’s an addict? A running addict? I don’t get it.**

Yeah, I know. It’s a bit strange, and it probably calls for an explanation of who I am and what I’m trying to do here.

This blog is intended to be a sacred space of inspiration, mostly targeted at runners and endurance athletes, but open to everyone. The “confessing” portion of the title refers to several things.

First, and as a foundation, this blog confesses Christ—the Christ of scripture as confessed when Christ followers across the centuries have said, “Jesus is Lord.” I am trying to figure out what “Jesus is Lord” means in the 21st century, especially in the life of a middle-aged dad and husband who sometimes wonders whether he really believes that, and often does a pretty poor job of living it out daily.

Second, the “confessions” referred to in the title of the blog refer to the historic confessions of the Christian faith. I intend and hope to use those confessions and scripture as a weekly springboard for exploring life and faith, especially through the eyes of an endurance athlete. If I carry through on the plan, expect a weekly post in time for your weekend long run.

But, why these confessions?

Well, a good reason would be that I’m certainly not smarter or wiser than the people in history that wrestled with truth and theology. Anyone who searches for truth while reinventing the wheel is likely wind up with a decidedly unround, Rube Goldberg machine. Indeed, one of the deficiencies of the modern church (and modern spirituality) is to forget the foundations of the past (or even deny that there are such things as firm foundations) fight the same debates over and over again, and then wonder why the ride is so bumpy. I’d rather recognize my own limitations, start with a wheel that worked in the past, and see if and how it still rolls.

Another good reason? When I believe, I believe that the confessions are true. I am an elder in the Presbyterian church; but my journey, even since being ordained, has included times when I am secure in my faith, and times when I wonder if any of it is true, times when I live out my faith, and times when I fail completely.

Even as I write these sentences, even as I contemplate trying to write this blog, I have voices in my head doubting whether I should continue, whether I really still believe it all, and saying quite forcefully that such an unsteady Christ follower has no business starting a blog like this. I imagine people who really know me wondering, “who does he think he is writing a God blog?” I don’t know. Maybe I’m even starting the blog in an effort to believe again, an effort to become more steady.

Suffice it to say, as the writer of this blog, I am not the authority. I am just the conversation starter. Persons of any faith or no faith at all are welcome in this conversation. I will put out a post on which you can comment here or on which you can meditate and chew while you run. If you choose to comment, there’s only one rule: the Golden Rule. Treat others (including me) with the same kindness and respect that you would want to receive.

Now, get ready to run.

This entry was posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 11:51 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

16 comments

there is nothing to be ashamed of that you have this need. i would guess that there are many of us who have had periods in our lives where we've wondered why it is we believe what we do. i have, many times. and the truth is, seeking answers for these questions have not led me away from Christianity, if anything - the search has helped me to embrace my beliefs more fully.

personally, i believe it is our duty as Christians to ask the hard questions about our faith. only then, my friend, can we truly grow.

i, for one, am looking forward to this journey - for your sake, but also for mine and what i can learn through you.

August 30, 2008 at 1:53 PM

I've never really 'gotten' the whole 'Jesus died to save your sins' thing but I have been a Presbyterian and my every experience with Presbyterianism (with one notable exception) has been very, very good so let me just say this - Presbyterians rool!!

I live by the Golden Rule and I wonder about my faith and/or lack thereof all the time so I'm glad you are pondering these issues. I'm looking forward to reading your new blog as well as your old blog.

August 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM

Beautiful. Kudos to you for stepping out like this. I've always considered myself a "Christian with issues" - I believe that I'm fully on board faith-wise, but there are countless things about the walk that seem absurd and/or indefensible to me, that I have a hard time venturing too far out onto that branch publicly.

Anyway ... I'll be interested to see what you do here. I've got you Bloglined.

August 30, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Three cheers for my main man greyhound. This will be added to my bloglines account and read as much as you will update it! :)

August 30, 2008 at 8:43 PM

I've been reading your tri blog for months and love every bit of it. As a Christian myself I am truly looking forward to reading your thoughts. Faith is something EVERYONE struggles with daily, so I think writing your thoughts down help tremendously in the growth process. And no matter where we are at in our lives, we all still need to grown.

Thank you for sharing all of your encouragement and wisdom...I look forward to this new journey!

August 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM

I'm looking forward to what you have to write in this space. :-)

August 31, 2008 at 2:37 PM

I don't know...I really have no reason to "figure it all out" or "to find any answers".
I like living and seeking the mystery of life itself.

August 31, 2008 at 6:57 PM

Continue to write what is in your heart, what the Lord moves you to say or share as you progress through the week. I am excited that you have taken a step to grow as I know it is not "comfortable" to put your faith out there at times- in the world that we live in. BUT if you can touch even ONE life- that is what matters. Write and let others see the passion for Christ flow.

August 31, 2008 at 10:04 PM

I enjoy your writing regardless of what you are writing about and will be checking your blog on a regular basis. While I am definitely not a religious guy, I am still sure I will get something from your insightfulness and gentle sense of humour. Looking forward to coming along for the ride.

September 1, 2008 at 8:30 AM

I agree with the above. I've always enjoyed your writing, and I think most of us as Christians have questions now and then, so write away!

September 1, 2008 at 8:24 PM

I have often thought the same and actually considered starting another blog myself. Hope you don't mind if I do, eventually. The one thing that I was thinking though was to open it up to a certain number of people (how many?) to post. A place for all of us to say something, share but at the same time have the blog be a bit more active by having multiple bloggers participate. It will also increase the quality since I am not a particularly good writer!

I have already Rss'd your new site and look forward to reading!

September 2, 2008 at 9:10 AM

Looking forward to this!

Thanks for sharing.

September 2, 2008 at 10:35 AM

great! What's your first question for us to ponder?

September 2, 2008 at 7:15 PM

Certain to be a place to find wonderfully written, thoughtful and insightful commentary.

September 3, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Good for you Kendall! Can't wait to see this unfold

September 4, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Growing up Roman Catholic, you are taught to accept things without question concerning God, Jesus, Mary, and the Saints. Growing up in Chicago, there was never any reason to question. Moving to Texas and encountering people of other faiths who told me that I was not saved and I needed to accept Christ into my life was unnerving and uncomfortable. Hadn't I been baptized? Hadn't I professed my faith in front of the congregation? Then why was I being called a lost member of the flock who supported idol worship by my peers in school???

I still struggle with lots of questions about my faith and how I am trying to teach my son about Jesus and Bible.

I look forward to your questions and the topics you will touch on.

September 4, 2008 at 8:32 PM

Post a Comment